Definition of Tty
Get Babylon's Dictionary & Translation Software Free Download Now!
Tty Definition from Language, Idioms & Slang Dictionaries & Glossaries
hEnglish - advanced version
/tit'ee/ (its pronunciation, but some unix people say it this way as well; this pronunciation is not considered to have sexual undertones), /t t y/
2. (especially unix) any terminal at all; sometimes used to refer to the particular terminal controlling a given job (it is also the name of a unix command which outputs the name of the current controlling terminal).
3. (unix) any serial port, whether or not the device connected to it is a terminal; so called because under unix such devices have names of the form tty*. ambiguity between senses 2 and 3 is common but seldom bothersome.
4. a tdd.
Tty Definition from Government Dictionaries & Glossaries
DOD Joint Acronyms and Abbreviations
International Relations and Security Acronyms
Tty Definition from Science & Technology Dictionaries & Glossaries
ETSI and 3GPP
Telecommunication Standard Terms
Abbreviation for teletypewriter.
A printing telegraph instrument that has a signal-actuated mechanism for automatically printing received messages. Note 1: A TTY may have a keyboard similar to that of a typewriter for sending messages. (188 ) Note 2: Radio circuits carrying TTY traffic are called "RTTY circuits" or "RATT circuits."
Tty Definition from Computer & Internet Dictionaries & Glossaries
Computer Abbreviations v1.5
9300+ Computer Acronyms
/T-T-Y/, /tit'ee/ n. The latter pronunciation was primarily ITS, but some Unix people say it this way as well; this pronunciation is not considered to have sexual undertones. 1. A terminal of the teletype variety, characterized by a noisy mechanical printer, a very limited character set, and poor print quality. Usage: antiquated (like the TTYs themselves). See also bit-paired keyboard. 2. [especially Unix] Any terminal at all; sometimes used to refer to the particular terminal controlling a given job. 3. [Unix] Any serial port, whether or not the device connected to it is a terminal; so called because under Unix such devices have names of the form tty*. Ambiguity between senses 2 and 3 is common but seldom bothersome.
A Glossary of Internet & PC Terminology
Tty Definition from Encyclopedia Dictionaries & Glossaries
Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia
TTY may refer to:
- Teletypewriter (teleprinter or Teletype), an electromechanical typewriter paired with a communication channel
- Text terminal and terminal emulator, taking the place of a teletypewriter in modern computers
- Telecommunications device for the deaf, sometimes called a teletypewriter
- Tampere University of Technology, in Finland
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
Tty Definition from Law Dictionaries & Glossaries
USPTO Patent and Trademark Glossary
teletypewriter: also known as a TDD (Telecommunications Device for the Deaf)By the United States Patent and Trademark Office
Tty Definition from Society & Culture Dictionaries & Glossaries
Environmental Engineering (English ver.)
Tty Definition from Medicine Dictionaries & Glossaries
Augmentative Communications Glossary
The preferred term for a TDD by the Deaf community. This term originated with the Teletype Terminal, which was a loud mechanical printer with poor print quality used to transmit encoded text information over telephone lines.