Get Babylon's Dictionary & Translation Software
Free Download Now!
Free Download Now!
Proportions Definition from Language, Idioms & Slang Dictionaries & Glossaries
hEnglish - advanced version
law of definite proportions
doctrine of definite proportions
law of multiple proportions
law of equivalent proportions
law of reciprocal proportions
1. the quotient obtained when the magnitude of a part is divided by the magnitude of the whole
(hyponym) case-fatality proportion
2. magnitude or extent; "a building of vast proportions"
3. balance among the parts of something
(hypernym) balance, equilibrium, equipoise, counterbalance
4. harmonious arrangement or relation of parts or elements within a whole (as in a design); "in all perfectly beautiful objects there is found the opposition of one part to another and a reciprocal balance"- John Ruskin
(hypernym) placement, arrangement
1. give pleasant proportions to; "harmonize a building with those surrounding it"
(hypernym) harmonize, harmonise
2. adjust in size relative to other things
(hypernym) adjust, set, correct
(hyponym) scale down
Proportions Definition from Encyclopedia Dictionaries & Glossaries
Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia
Proportionality may refer to:
- Proportionality (mathematics), the relationship of two variables whose ratio is constant
- Proportionality (law), A legal principle under municipal law in which the punishment of a certain crime should be in proportion to the severity of the crime itself, and under international law an important consideration when assessing the military necessity of an attack on a military objective
- Proportionality (political maxim), A maxim which states that any layer of government should not take any action that exceeds that which is necessary to achieve the objective of government
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|