The language spoken in Persia.
See Persian columns, under Persian, a.
A thin silk fabric, used formerly for linings.
A native or inhabitant of Persia.
Of or pertaining to Persia, to the Persians, or to their language.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913), edited by Noah Porter. About
1. a native or inhabitant of persia.
2. the language spoken in persia.
3. a thin silk fabric, used formerly for linings.
4. pl. (arch.) see persian columns, under persian, a.
\per"sian\ (?), a. [from persia: cf. it. persiano. cf. parsee, peach, persic.] of or pertaining to persia, to the persians, or to their language.
berry, the fruit of rhamnus infectorius, a kind of buckthorn, used for dyeing yellow, and imported chiefly from trebizond.
cat. (zo?l.) same as angora cat, under angora.
columns (arch.), columns of which the shaft represents a persian slave; -- called also persians. see atlantes.
drill (mech.), a drill which is turned by pushing a nut back and forth along a spirally grooved drill holder.
fire (med.), malignant pustule.
powder. see insect powder, under insect.
red. see indian red (a), under indian.
wheel, a noria; a tympanum. see noria.
adj : of or relating to iran or its people or language or culture; "iranian mountains"; "iranian security police" [syn: iranian, persian]
1. a native or inhabitant of iran [syn: irani, iranian, persian]
2. the language of persia (iran) in any of its ancient forms [syn: persian, farsi]