1. used of a living language; being the current stage in its development; "Modern English"; "New Hebrew is Israeli Hebrew"
1. a contemporary person
(hypernym) person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
2. a typeface (based on an 18th century design by Gianbattista Bodoni) distinguished by regular shape and hairline serifs and heavy downstrokes
(synonym) modern font, Bodoni, Bodoni font
(antonym) old style, old style font
(hypernym) proportional font
1. belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages; "modern art"; "modern furniture"; "modern history"; "totem poles are modern rather than prehistoric"
(similar) contemporary, modern-day
(attribute) modernity, modernness, modernism, contemporaneity, contemporaneousness
2. relating to a recently developed fashion or style; "their offices are in a modern skyscraper"; "tables in modernistic designs";
(synonym) mod, modernistic
(similar) fashionable, stylish
3. characteristic of present-day art and music and literature and architecture
4. ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British industry innovative enough?"
(synonym) advanced, forward-looking, innovative