1. single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance; "slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach"
(hypernym) sheet, flat solid
(hyponym) backing, mount
2. a relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
(hypernym) region, part
3. an abstract place usually conceived as having depth; "a good actor communicates on several levels"; "a simile has at least two layers of meaning"; "the mind functions on many strata simultaneously"
(synonym) level, stratum
4. a hen that lays eggs
(hypernym) hen, biddy
5. thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
(hypernym) structure, anatomical structure, complex body part, bodily structure, body structure
(hyponym) blastoderm, germinal disc, blastodisc, germinal area
1. make or form a layer; "layer the different colored sands"