Definition of Kallipolis
Get Babylon's Dictionary & Translation Software Free Download Now!
Kallipolis Definition from Encyclopedia Dictionaries & Glossaries
Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia
Callipolis is the Latinized form of Kallipolis, which is Greek for "beautiful city", from κάλλος kallos (beauty) and πόλις polis (city). It was the name of several ancient cities, notably:
- Kallipolis, Caria - in Caria, Anatolia
- Kallipolis - a Hellespont-port on the Thracian Chersonesus, the modern Gallipoli
- Callipolis, Calabria - in Calabria, southern Italy, a port on a peninsula into the Tarentine Gulf
- Callipolis (mythology) - In Greek mythology, Callipolis was a son of Alcathous, son of Pelops
- "Kallipolis" is also the word Socrates uses for his utopia in Plato's dialogue The Republic (Plato).
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|