Get Babylon's Dictionary & Translation Software
Free Download Now!
Free Download Now!
Folk Definition from Language, Idioms & Slang Dictionaries & Glossaries
hEnglish - advanced version
\folk\ (fōk), folks \folks\ (fōks) ], n. collect. & pl. [as. folc; akin to d. volk, os. & ohg. folk, g. volk, icel. fōlk, sw. & dan. folk, lith. pulkas crowd, and perh. to e. follow.]
1. (eng. hist.) in anglo-saxon times, the people of a group of townships or villages; a community; a tribe. [obs.] the organization of each folk, as such, sprang mainly from war. r. green.
2. people in general, or a separate class of people; -- generally used in the plural form, and often with a qualifying adjective; as, the old folks; poor folks. [colloq.] in winter's tedious nights, sit by the fire with good old folks, and let them tell thee tales.
3. the persons of one's own family; as, our folks are all well. [colloq. new eng.]
song, one of a class of songs long popular with the common people.
speech, the speech of the common people, as distinguished from that of the educated class.
adj : (of music) characteristic of rural life [syn: country(a) , folk(a) , hillbilly, western(a) ]
1. people in general; "they're just country folk"; "the common people determine the group character and preserve its customs from one generation to the next" [syn: common people ]
2. a social division of (usually preliterate) people [syn: tribe]
3. people descended from a common ancestor; "his family had lived in massachusetts since the mayflower" [syn: family, family line, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry]
4. the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community [syn: folk music , ethnic music]
The Phrase Finder
Concise English-Irish Dictionary v. 1.1
dream, drong; lucht (with determing word)
(pl. n.) 1. one's parents; 2. persons of one's own family; one's relatives: "My folks are having a big bash tonight"
English Slang Dictionary v1.2
blue down Chicago based gang nation
1. people in general; "they're just country folk"; "the common people determine the group character and preserve its customs from one generation to the next"
(synonym) common people
(hyponym) grass roots
(member-meronym) plebeian, pleb
2. a social division of (usually preliterate) people
(hypernym) social group
3. people descended from a common ancestor; "his family has lived in Massachusetts since the Mayflower"
(synonym) family, family line, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry
(hypernym) lineage, line, line of descent, descent, bloodline, blood line, blood, pedigree, ancestry, origin, parentage, stemma, stock
4. the traditional and typically anonymous music that is an expression of the life of people in a community
(synonym) folk music, ethnic music
(hypernym) popular music, popular music genre
(hyponym) folk song, folksong, folk ballad
Folk Definition from Encyclopedia Dictionaries & Glossaries
Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia
Folk + or Folk Plus is a music channel that broadcasts Albanian folklore music of the Albanian speaking regions. It broadcasts 24 hours per day 7 days per week.
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
Folk Definition from Entertainment & Music Dictionaries & Glossaries
English to Federation-Standard Golic Vulcan
sular (general plural for people); sutra (populace)