Get Babylon's Dictionary & Translation Software
Free Download Now!
Free Download Now!
Folio Definition from Arts & Humanities Dictionaries & Glossaries
Glossary of Bookbinding Terms
1. A sheet of paper in one of the traditional sizes, folded once to give two leaves. 2. A book made of such sheets, i.e. the largest format possible in that particular size.
Folio Definition from Language, Idioms & Slang Dictionaries & Glossaries
hEnglish - advanced version
\fol"io\ (?), n.; pl. folios (#). [ablative of l. folium leaf. see 4th foil.]
1. a leaf of a book or manuscript.
2. a sheet of paper once folded.
3. a book made of sheets of paper each folded once (four pages to the sheet); hence, a book of the largest kind. see note under paper.
4. (print.) the page number. the even folios are on the left-hand pages and the odd folios on the right-hand.
5. a page of a book; (bookkeeping) a page in an account book; sometimes, two opposite pages bearing the same serial number.
6. (law) a leaf containing a certain number of words, hence, a certain number of words in a writing, as in england, in law proceedings 72, and in chancery, 90; in new york, 100 words.
post, a flat writing paper, usually 17 by 24 inches.
1. the system of numbering pages [syn: pagination, page number , paging]
2. a sheet of any written or printed material (especially in a manuscript or book) [syn: leaf]
3. a book (or manuscript) consisting of large sheets of paper folded in the middle to make two leaves or four pages; "the first folio of shakespeare's plays"
for Vocabulary Exams of KPDS, YDS,UDS (in Turkey); and SAT in America
A sheet of paper folded once, or of a size adapted to folding once.
1. the system of numbering pages
(synonym) pagination, page number, paging
2. a sheet of any written or printed material (especially in a manuscript or book)
(hypernym) sheet, piece of paper, sheet of paper
(part-holonym) written communication, written language
3. a book (or manuscript) consisting of large sheets of paper folded in the middle to make two leaves or four pages; "the first folio of Shakespeare's plays"
(hypernym) book, volume
Folio Definition from Encyclopedia Dictionaries & Glossaries
Wikipedia English - The Free Encyclopedia
Folio may refer to:
- Folio (printing), a book size
- A particular edition of a book printed on folio pages, such as the First Folio of William Shakespeare's plays
- A leaf of a book: see Recto and verso
- Folio (typeface), a sans-serif typeface
- Folio (magazine)
- Foolscap folio, a paper size
- Folio Society, publishers of fine illustrated books
- Folio Weekly, a newspaper published in Florida and Georgia
- "Folio", an imprint of French publisher Éditions Gallimard
- Folio Corporation, a software company and technology product
- Folio, Inc. (acquired by Sun Microsystems), developers of the F3 font format
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|