Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Reserved; not affable.
In a condition of danger, as from illness; threatened with death.
Hard to suit; difficult to please.
Causing danger; ready to do harm or injury.
Attended or beset with danger; full of risk; perilous; hazardous; unsafe.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913), edited by Noah Porter. About
hEnglish - advanced version
\dan"ger*ous\ (?), a. [oe., haughty, difficult, dangerous, fr. of. dangereus, f. dangereux. see danger.]
1. attended or beset with danger; full of risk; perilous; hazardous; unsafe. our troops set forth to-morrow; stay with us; the ways are dangerous. it is dangerous to assert a negative.
2. causing danger; ready to do harm or injury. if they incline to think you dangerous to less than gods.
3. in a condition of danger, as from illness; threatened with death. [colloq.] bartlett.
4. hard to suit; difficult to please. [obs.] my wages ben full strait, and eke full small; my lord to me is hard and dangerous.
5. reserved; not affable. [obs.] "of his speech dangerous." -- dan"ger*ous*ly , adv. -- dan"ger*ous*ness , n.
1. involving or causing danger or risk; liable to hurt or harm; "a dangerous criminal"; "a dangerous bridge"; "unemployment reached dangerous proportions" [syn: unsafe]
2. causing fear or anxiety by threatening great harm; "a dangerous operation"; "a grave situation"; "a grave illness"; "grievous bodily harm"; "a serious wound"; "a serious turn of events"; "a severe case of pneumonia" [syn: grave, grievous, serious, severe]
The Phrase Finder
A small amount of knowledge can cause people to think they are more expert than they are and consequently make unwise choices.
A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope (1688-1744) - An Essay on Criticism .
© 2004 The Phrase Finder
. Take a look at Phrase Finder’s sister site, the Phrases Thesaurus
, a subscription service for professional writers & language lovers.