1. an argument opposed to a proposal
(hypernym) argument, statement
2. a person serving a sentence in a jail or prison
(synonym) convict, inmate, jailbird, gaolbird
(hypernym) prisoner, captive
3. a swindle in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property
(synonym) bunco, bunco game, bunko, bunko game, confidence trick, confidence game, con game, gyp, hustle, sting, flimflam
(hypernym) swindle, cheat, rig
(hyponym) sting operation
(derivation) victimize, swindle, rook, goldbrick, nobble, diddle, bunco, defraud, scam, mulct, gyp
1. deprive of by deceit; "He swindled me out of my inheritance"; "She defrauded the customers who trusted her"; "the cashier gypped me when he gave me too little change"
(synonym) victimize, swindle, rook, goldbrick, nobble, diddle, bunco, defraud, scam, mulct, gyp
(hypernym) cheat, rip off, chisel
(hyponym) short-change, short
(derivation) bunco, bunco game, bunko, bunko game, confidence trick, confidence game, con game, gyp, hustle, sting, flimflam
2. commit to memory; learn by heart; "Have you memorized your lines for the play yet?"
(synonym) memorize, memorise, learn
(hypernym) study, hit the books
(hyponym) understudy, alternate
1. on the negative side; "much was written pro and con"
(synonym) in opposition
1. conduct or direct the steering of a ship or plane
(hypernym) steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, point, head, guide, channelize, channelise