1. adjust or make up for; "engineers will work to correct the effects or air resistance"
(synonym) counterbalance, correct, even out, even off, even up
(hypernym) balance, equilibrate, equilibrize, equilibrise
(derivation) recompense, compensation
2. make amends for; pay compensation for; "One can never fully repair the suffering and losses of the Jews in the Third Reich"; "She was compensated for the loss of her arm in the accident"
(synonym) recompense, repair, indemnify
3. make up for shortcomings or a feeling of inferiority by exaggerating good qualities; "he is compensating for being a bad father"
(synonym) cover, overcompensate
(hypernym) counterbalance, correct, even out, even off, even up
(verb-group) cover, insure, underwrite
4. make reparations or amends for; "right a wrongs done to the victims of the Holocaust"
(synonym) right, redress, correct
(hypernym) change, alter, modify
(hyponym) over-correct, overcompensate
(see-also) counterbalance, correct, even out, even off, even up
5. do or give something to somebody in return; "Does she pay you for the work you are doing?"
(synonym) pay, pay off, make up
6. make payment to; compensate; "My efforts were not remunerated"
(synonym) recompense, remunerate
(hyponym) recoup, reimburse