1. the act of making something clean; "he gave his shoes a good cleaning"
(synonym) cleaning, cleanup
(derivation) cleanse, clean
1. cleansing the body by washing; especially ritual washing of e.g. hands; "ablutionary rituals"
2. acting like an antiseptic
1. clean one's body or parts thereof, as by washing; "clean up before you see your grandparents"; "clean your fingernails before dinner"
(hypernym) groom, neaten
(derivation) cleansing agent, cleanser, cleaner
2. purge of an ideology, bad thoughts, or sins; "Purgatory is supposed to cleanse you from your sins"
(hypernym) rid, free, disembarrass