Get Babylon's Dictionary & Translation Software
Free Download Now!
Free Download Now!
B&b Definition from Arts & Humanities Dictionaries & Glossaries
Glossary of Stamp Collecting Terms
Semipostal. Scott catalog number prefix to identify stamps other than standard postage.
B&b Definition from Language, Idioms & Slang Dictionaries & Glossaries
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
is the second letter of the English alphabet. It is etymologically related to p, v, f, w and m , letters representing sounds having a close organic affinity to its own sound; as in Eng. bursar and purser; Eng. bear and Lat. ferre; Eng. silver and Ger. silber; Lat. cubitum and It. gomito; Eng. seven, Anglo-Saxon seofon, Ger. sieben, Lat. septem, Gr."epta`, Sanskrit saptan. The form of letter B is Roman, from Greek B (Beta), of Semitic origin. The small b was formed by gradual change from the capital B.
hEnglish - advanced version
\b\ (bē) is the second letter of the english alphabet. (see guide to pronunciation, §§ 196, 220.) it is etymologically related to p, v, f, w and m, letters representing sounds having a close organic affinity to its own sound; as in eng. bursar and purser; eng. bear and lat. ferre; eng. silver and ger. silber; lat. cubitum and it. gomito; eng. seven, anglo-saxon seofon, ger. sieben, lat. septem, gr."epta`, sanskrit saptan. the form of letter b is roman, from greek b (beta), of semitic origin. the small b was formed by gradual change from the capital b.
note: in music, b is the nominal of the seventh tone in the model major scale (the scale of c major ), or of the second tone in it's relative minor scale (that of a minor ) b♭ stands for b flat, the tone a half step, or semitone, lower than b. in german, b stands for our b♭, while our b natural is called h (pronounced h?).
1. the blood group whose red cells carry the b antigen [syn: b, type b, group b]
2. aerobic rod-shaped spore-producing bacterium; often occurring in chainlike formations [syn: bacillus, bacilli, b]
3. originally thought to be a single vitamin but now separated into several b vitamins [syn: b-complex vitamin, b complex , vitamin b complex, vitamin b, b vitamin, b]
4. a trivalent metalloid element; occurs both in a hard black crystal and in the form of a yellow or brown powder [syn: boron, b, atomic number 5]
5. a logarithmic unit of sound intensity equal to 10 decibels [syn: bel, b]
6. (atomic or nuclear physics) a unit of nuclear cross section; the effective circular area that one particle presents to another as a target for an encounter [syn: barn]
7. the 2nd letter of the roman alphabet [syn: b]
louis b mayer
a b c
vitamin b complex
r and b
a b c book
riley b king
w e b du bois
w b yeats
ENGLISH IDIOMS 2.EDITION
Bed and Breakfast - a small inn or hotel that serves breakfast My sister wants to open a small B when she quits her job.